Wednesday 8 January 2014

More Photography..

As previously done, I decided to do some more photography.  This, along with digital prints from photoshop, are becoming my main practice.  Since getting the hang of using the cameras, lighting and editing, I wanted to collect an even larger collection of photos than the last time.

Instead of working in the photography studio, I again worked at home in my own DIY studio as this was where all my objects were.  Again I wanted to show the cheap, throwaway religious objects people have around their homes but I still wanted the pictures to look good.


















 
 


 
 
As my grand-uncle was a priest, a lot of his religious items are in my house.  For instance his bible that he would have used, crosses, mass booklets etc.  He was also a poet and many of his writings would have religious content and a lot of these writings, notes for mass etc, I found in his bible.  I then decided to photograph his religious items along side the cheap, everyday objects you can buy.  by doing this I wanted to show the two sides of religion, what it should mean i.e deep faith and understanding and what it unfortunately has become for many people, materialistic and money hungry.
 







 
 
The fact that the bible is still in pristine condition after all these years and also the fact that he signed his name to it, shows what these items meant to him, very different to now which is what I wanted to show.
 
 
I also began to group the objects together, again inspired by Liliana Porter's work.
 




 
 
And once again I have to thank my unnaturally shakey hands for helping me create the next image.
 
 
This is one of my favourite images.  Its based on Andres Serrano's Piss Christ, difference being that my one was done without the help of bodily fluids.  Its not edited, just done purely with a slow shutter setting, certain lighting from just a normal bedside lamp and my shakey hands.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment